Location: Hybrid or Remote
We believe mycelium—the vegetative root body of mushrooms— is our forests’ best-kept secret. With a naturally savory umami flavor and a wonderfully meaty texture, mycelium is a delicious answer to fulfilling our craving for simple ingredient plant-based alternatives while doing good for Spaceship Earth. Speaking of which, we put people and planet first, with every decision we make, be it great or small.
At MyForest Foods, we grow and harvest mycelium in vertical farms, producing large structures that resemble whole cuts of meat in as little as 12 days. (And if you’re familiar with typical meat alternatives, you know that a “whole cut” is something truly special!) We then slice these meaty “cuts” and season them to perfection in a traditional brine recipe. MyBacon® is our first of many mycelium-based meatless alternatives. It’s as realistic as vegan bacon gets; people are blown away by how satisfying and similar it is to pork bacon.
Due to its DELICIOUS nature, MyBacon demand is sky-high! As a result, our business is growing rapidly. As we prepare to take our production to a national scale, many exciting career opportunities have unfolded, including that of a Staff Accountant.
Become a part of a growing team of motivated, energetic and talented professionals striving toward the common goal of expanding our business and revolutionizing the future of food!
About the role:
The Staff Accountant role offers an exciting opportunity to join a growing “start-up” and rapidly accelerate your career while earning a competitive salary and excellent benefits! This role will provide excellent development opportunities as you perform a variety of financial tasks at granular and high levels alike. This includes financial records management, accounts payable, credit card transactions, accounts receivable, monthly, quarterly and annual financial closing activities and other general support duties. The ideal candidate will be able to handle both daily financial activities including entering transactions and the broader responsibilities of period-end financial closings and compliance-related activities for the business.
Reliable, accountable and confidential, you’re an excellent communicator. You’ve got a desire to build relationships and foster collaboration across the organization and with external partners, vendors and customers—and it shows! Working under tight deadlines and handling multiple detail-orientated tasks? No problem! Others describe you as a high performer, both individually and within team environments. Your willingness to change and adapt to new processes, procedures, or work requirements is notable. A natural problem-solver, you’re motivated by deadlines and the quest for ultimate efficiency. Speaking of efficiency, you work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment with exceptional attention to detail. Thanks to strong organizational and time management skills, you can prioritize responsibilities with ease.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow accounting policies and procedures; comply with local, state, and federal government requirements
- Develop thorough working knowledge of the company’s chart of accounts and coding/classing system
- Perform AP entries prior to check runs, ensuring accuracy, proper coding, and timeliness of paying vendors
- Perform AR transactions including creation of sales orders, generating packing slips, issuing invoices, receiving payments, maintaining customer files, and pursuing collections as needed.
- Allocate costs to COGS appropriately; work with production teams to count and value inventory; conduct inventory reconciliations
- Maintain prepaid schedules, depreciation schedules, and other trackers as needed to support accurate and timely entries
- Record adjusting journal entries for depreciation, prepaid expenses, deferred revenue, accrued revenue, and accrued expenses; determine flexible spending account balances, accrued unpaid wages and PTO, etc.
- Account for fixed assets and observe capitalization thresholds
- Reconcile bank accounts and credit cards; identify financial discrepancies and elevate to Finance Director
- Conduct monthly and quarterly closing activities and coordinate with Finance Director to reduce lag time and speed up closing process
- Reconcile employee benefits invoices and other payroll items as needed
- Support the company’s annual independent audit and timely completion of the audited financial statements
- Perform regular internal audits on revenues, expenses, receivables, payables, assets, prepaids, liabilities, accrued items, and inventory to ensure audit readiness and accuracy in financial documents
- Support compliance management including federal, state and local filings and legal requirements, and maintaining good corporate relationships with government entities
- Calculate and remit sales and use tax returns, and other filings as needed; support taxation issues; facilitate the utilization of sale tax exemptions where applicable
- Prepare and submit reports including expense analyses, month-end financial reports, quarterly statements, KPIs, metrics, and other reports as assigned
- Assist with bank activities; prepare weekly cash transfer requests as needed to cover payrolls, payables, etc.
- Assist with insurance renewals and asset tracking
- Maintain accurate and up to date electronic documents for all transactions
- Maintain a general understanding of MyForest’s business model and the work performed by each department, in order to effectively communicate with internal and external parties as needed regarding financial transactions
- Contribute ideas and energy around improving financial systems to simplify finance processes and enhance automation and integration
- Work with Finance Director to update written policies, procedures and controls for accounting activities
- Special ad-hoc projects as needed
Minimum qualifications/competencies (The must-haves)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 3 years accounting experience
- Strong Knowledge of G.A.A.P.
- Experience with accounting close process and preparation of financial reports
- Advanced Excel Skills
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies (The nice-to-haves)
- Accounting experience in a manufacturing setting (COGS, inventory valuation, production costing methods)
- 2+ years working with Quickbooks Desktop
- Proficient in Google Workspace including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Docs and Slides
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Reports to: Director of Finance
Excited? So are we!
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the role.
- Full Address 1 Tower Pl UNIT 800, South San Francisco, CA 94080
- Job Street Address 1 Tower Pl
- City San Francisco
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office