Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Staff Accountant, to join the Finance and Accounting Department. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits.
While working independently, the Staff Accountant performs diversified accounting duties requiring a general understanding of accounting principles, experience compiling and analyzing data, and experience generating reports. The successful candidate will prepares work papers and other underlying documentation supporting transactions recorded in the Institution’s general ledger and financial reports. Uses internal policies and relevant external regulations to identify and provide input in recording and summarizing transactions.
The internal working title for this position will be Accountant III.
- Perform Balance Sheet/SOP & SOA reconciliations at an intermediate level whereby you can identify and troubleshoot issues with minimal guidance
- Act as liaison with Ships Department and recording of monthly ships accounting entries
- Maintain month end files with appropriate reconciliations & other supporting documentation
- Prepare journal entries as required
- Perform month end reconciliation of Job Ledger to General Ledger
- Assist in month end Financial Statement Close
- Perform month end financial statement preparation and variance analysis
- Perform annual review of Institution projects to identify & record revenue recognition JE in compliance with ASC 606
- Assist with year-end WHOI financial statement audit
- Collaborate with other Finance and Accounting department teams
- Assist in other special projects as assigned
- Leverage accounting software and IT systems to effectively perform duties
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary
- Cross train to support Finance & Accounting department
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required
- 2-5 years of hand-on general ledger accounting and reconciliation work, and demonstrated professional experience that can attest to a comprehensive knowledge of broad-based financial accounting functions.
- At least 2 years of assistance with monthly financial statements
- Demonstrates knowledge and experience of system applications related to financial accounting and ability to learn new systems
- Demonstrated ability of Intermediate-to-Advanced Microsoft Excel Skills & proficiency with all Microsoft Office products.
- Must be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively and provide customer service with internal staff and external partners.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
This position is mostly sedentary, and works with and around others as well as working alone at times. We welcome all to apply to this position.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole