At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE is seeking a highly motivated Engineer to help develop bioreactor processes for the cultivation of cultivated meat. As a member of the Process Development team, this person will develop novel fed-batch and perfusion bioreactor processes using scale-down benchtop platforms for transfer into the Manufacturing group. Your scientific and operational expertise will lend itself to independent experimental design, execution, and analysis of experiments. A portion of your effort will also be directed towards the design, troubleshooting, and validation of new experimental methodologies.
This interdisciplinary work within a talented team will contribute to the knowledge base of a novel industry and bring cultivated meat to large-scale manufacturing. The ideal candidate will have a history of integrating 2D or 3D cell culture with bioreactor systems (e.g. microfluidics, perfusion), as well as a working knowledge of cell-based assays (e.g. microscopy, gene expression)). A thorough understanding of the mechanisms and impacts of environmental stimuli (e.g. growth factors, hypoxia, mechanotransduction) on cell behavior will be critical to success. We are excited to bring on a diligent self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced team with numerous opportunities for growth.
- Independently design, review, execute, and analyze process development experiments at the benchtop scale, leading to process transfer to pilot plant and commercial scale.
- Develop and implement new methodologies to interrogate cell behavior in-situ.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of multiple benchtop platforms, including troubleshooting, routine maintenance and calibration of process equipment.
- Leading and mentoring team members to accomplish project goals.
- Summarizing and synthesizing experimental plans and results to leadership and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- PhD in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, or related discipline with 2+ years of experience, or BS with 6+ years of experience in animal cell culture and bioprocess development in either an academic or industry setting. Other levels will be considered for the right candidate.
- Demonstrated expertise with engineered tissues, especially the assessment of cellular responses (e.g., protein analysis, transcriptional profiling).
- Excellent critical thinker with detail-oriented and well-organized mindset.
- Comfortable working in and leading in a team-based environment.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends, when needed.
Who you’ll work with…
- Process Development sits at the intersection of several functions; you’ll interface and coordinate with our cell and media, and food R&D teams, as well as our manufacturing and scale-up teams.
- You’ll also collaborate with our data, automation, analytical, and IT teams to develop new systems and solutions.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Deliver cultivated meat processes with increased yield while achieving safety, sensory, and cost targets.
- Expand our toolkit to understand and optimize cell behavior in engineered tissues
- Provide skilled tissue engineering and biology expertise to the team, including training and mentoring junior team members.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
- City Emeryville