WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
The Humane League is seeking a mid-level or senior full-stack web developer. The ideal candidate will have flexibility in the technologies and frameworks with which they work. We are a small and nimble team. The ability to communicate effectively, collaborate positively, and think creatively is a must.
We especially want you if you have a real desire to push the creative and technical boundaries of modern web development to produce highly creative, one-of-a-kind, interactive user experiences. This position reports directly to the Director of Digital Products.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 2–3 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
The deadline to submit your application is 9am EDT on Monday, November 1, 2021.
- Build, deploy, and maintain performant, accessible, and modern websites and web applications
- Maintain and troubleshoot products using popular CMSs, single-page applications, and static site generators such as Contentful, Strapi, Directus, React, and Gatsby
- Work collaboratively with our designers to help bring “static” mockups to life in ways that create compelling, interactive experiences optimized for accessibility and conversion
- Draw on UX/UI skill set to interpret responsive states from static designs, and execute layouts that perform seamlessly and provide quality end-user experiences across all modern devices and screen sizes
- Utilize tried and true design systems and approaches to quickly bootstrap MVPs and boilerplates
- Test and implement new technologies when reasonable and where useful
- Utilize unit- and end-to-end testing, following test-driven development practices, to create stable, maintainable, and well-documented web applications
- Effectively explain technical concepts to peers and colleagues in a positive, friendly manner
- Collaborate with other developers using version control (Git and Github)
- Stay up-to-date on latest technological developments and how organizations can use them to improve performance, and draw on this base of knowledge to address organizational opportunities
- Problem solving: Anticipate needs, actively seek opportunities, and propose solutions with solid decision-making capability. Willing to solve problems proactively, with little guidance.
- Teamwork: Enjoy working on a small, highly collaborative scrum team that is mission-driven, results-oriented, and community-oriented. Must also be extremely effective objectively and display dedication to the work and role.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three or more years of professional web development experience
- Love for developing with React, Angular, or Vue
- Familiarity with administering static sites and single-page applications in modern hosting environments such as Netlify and Heroku
- Experience working with headless CMSs such as Strapi, Contentful, or Directus
- UI/UX design sensibility, and experience developing with accessibility in mind
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack, Gulp, Yarn, and NPM
- Comprehension of version control and common git workflows such as Gitflow
- Project management: Flexible and able to balance multiple projects and tasks to deliver quality, timely work in an objective and remote work environment. Have solid planning and organization skills.
- Self-motivation: Able and willing to work objectively and take initiative in pursuing goals and setting a schedule given only general directives
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to write and speak clearly and effectively. Able to communicate with peers, project stakeholders, and product support teams in a friendly, welcoming manner—especially when introducing new processes or explaining complex
We don’t expect you to have all of these, but please highlight any relevant experience.
- Experience working with RESTful and/or GraphQL APIs
- Experience configuring Amazon Web Services such as RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Cloudfront, Redshift, IAM
- Experience building and maintaining integrations with CRMs such as EveryAction, EspoCRM, Engaging Networks, or Salesforce
- Experience with A/B testing
- Experience implementing HTML/CSS-based animations
- Experience configuring and gleaning insights from web analytics tools such as Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, and Facebook Pixel
Salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- Full Address PO Box 10476 Rockville, MD
- Job Street Address PO Box 10476
- City Rockville